Stephen R Mason is a co-founder and managing partner of CSuite Solutions. He has served in key leadership roles in large US healthcare systems for the past 24 years. Steve’s focus at CSuite Solutions is to help our clients succeed by delivering the highest level of customer experience, one standard of care across the enterprise, top decile quality and business performance, and sustainable business models and financial performance. Steve brings extensive experience to support our clients. He recently served as CEO of BayCare Health System in Tampa, Florida with 14 hospitals, 26,000 employees and over $3 billion in revenue. Prior to BayCare, Steve was the COO of Texas Health Resources, an Arlington based system with 13 hospitals, 17,000 employees and $2.3 billion of revenue.
Steve earned an MHA from the University of Minnesota, and a BA from Golden Gate University. He is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives.
Steve earned an MHA from the University of Minnesota, and a BA from Golden Gate University. Steve is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Practical Visionary Leader who understands that being visionary is not only a gift, but is also a learned trait. Over years, understanding that vision without infrastructure is like words without sentences. Ability to hone in on execution within highly evolving and chaotic environments.
- Success only comes with three things, creating a very clear vision of what you want to accomplish, getting your organization to understand and commit to the vision and finally by doing whatever it takes to accomplish the goal.
- Built teams focused on providing exemplary leadership to drive and refine culture that engages the organization at all levels to provide the best possible service and customer experience with the highest level of quality while maintaining high margins which enables continued growth.
- Uncanny ability to look at very complex and dynamic issues through a different lens and create innovative and cutting edge opportunities to simplify and engage organizations to move from the status quo to embrace the future changes needed to maintain success well in advance of the industry shift.
1.) BayCare Health System Clearwater, Florida (2004 – 2016)
BayCare Health System is the Tampa/St. Petersburg’s leading and largest not-for-profit integrated health care system with 17 hospital facilities including 14 acute care hospitals, one long term acute care, one long term care facility and two free standing Psychiatric Hospitals. BayCare operates in four counties on the central west coast of Florida serving 4.5 million people. The system consists of 297 access points, employing 480 physicians and 26,000 team members. The system has over $3.5 billion in annual net revenue and owns $4 billion in net assets. With 32.6 percent market share and successfully building to, and maintaining a AA2 rating with Moody’s Rating Agency and an AA with Fitch Rating Agency, BayCare is positioned to continue to serve as a national benchmark.
System President and CEO (retired May 2016)
- Served as President and CEO for the BayCare Health System with responsibility for vision, strategy, governance, operating and capital budget development and complete accountability
- Served as voting member of the BayCare Board of Directors & President and CEO of the BayCare Health System.
- Hired by the Board of Directors as CEO to evolve the BayCare Health System from a federation of hospitals to a nationally recognized Integrated Delivery System by merging, acquiring and integrating four regional hospital systems into one leading integrated delivery system.
- Increased revenue from $1.4 billion to $3.3 billion, Net assets from $1.3 billion to $4.1 billion, Operating Margin from 5% to 9%, and Days Cash on Hand from 244 to 396 days.
- Deployed the infrastructure to be a highly competitive and successful Accountable Care Organization fully prepared to meet the challenges of the new direction that the health care industry will take.
2.) Texas Health Resources Arlington, TX (1997 – 2004)
Texas Health Resources is a $1.7 billion net revenue not for profit faith based company with $2.3 billion in assets. The system consists of 13 JCAHO accredited hospitals two long term acute care hospitals and a retirement living community with approximately 17,000 total system employees. In addition, the system has joint ventures in three imaging centers, four short stay hospitals, one acute care hospital and multiple medical office buildings, clinics and other healthcare operations.
SEVP and COO
- Responsible for the hospital and ancillary operations of Texas Health Resources formed by the merger between Harris Methodist Health System, Presbyterian Healthcare Resources and Arlington Memorial Hospital Foundation.
- Responsibilities for managing all system operations including information services, supply chain management, managed care, medical staff affairs, marketing and communications, fundraising and pastoral care.
3.) Harris Methodist Health System Ft. Worth, TX (1992 – 1997)
Six hospital system. Regional Network consisting of 28 hospital providers, multiple post-acute and home care facilities.
CEO Harris Methodist Regional Network
- Served as the chief executive for the Harris Methodist Tarrant County Region with bottom line responsibility for complete network development and management to support the covered lives in all insurance products of the Harris Methodist Health Plan. The Western Region had approximately $700 million in net revenue and $1.2 billion in assets.
- Served as President for the Harris Methodist Hospitals with responsibility for governance, operating and capital budget development and bottom line accountability
- Organized the contract management for the network and the Harris Methodist Hospitals.
- Developed innovative supply chain and resource outsourcing to significantly improve the expense structure of the health System
- Negotiated the Health system portion of the PMPM contracts with the health plan and coordination with the Harris Methodist Select Physician network
- Over saw multiple building projects and clinic office buildings
- Oversaw the acquisition of St. Paul Hospital in Dallas
- Had direct board reporting responsibility for all the not-for-profit activates of the health system
4.) Hospital Management Professionals Brentwood, TN (1983 – 1992)
One of the original founders of this multi-state hospital management company with over 50 hospitals comprised of small rural to large regional teaching facilities.
Sr. Vice President Operations
- Supervised the operations for the Western Region of HMP, which comprised all company activities west of the Mississippi River. The region was a 14 state area with 15 hospitals.
- Responsible for operational development in the region; all contract renewals, lead generation, service development, strategic planning, vision development, the regional operating budget and bottom line
Arkansas City Memorial Hospital, Arkansas City, Kansas – Administrator
Hospital Affiliates International, Inc. – Regional Vice President Central Division
Luther Hospital, Eau Claire, Wisconsin – Vice President Professional Services
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas – Administrative Residency and Interim Administrator
Masters of Hospital Administration – University of Minnesota
Bachelor of Administration – Golden Gate University
Fellow – American College of Healthcare Executives
LEADERSHIP / AWARDS / SERVICE:
Executive in Residence, The Health Management Academy
Former Member of the Education, Research and Scholarship Commission of the Florida house of Representatives
Former Member of the Low Income Pool Commission for the State of Florida
Florida Hospital Association – 2014 Ralph Glatfelter Spirit of Advocacy Award
Florida hospital Association – Visionary Leadership Award
Board Memberships & Service:
Past Chair Florida Hospital Association
Past Chair Tampa Bay Partnership
Past Chair Suncoast United Way
Past Chair American Heart Association of Tampa Bay
Florida Council of 100
SunTrust Bank, Director
Suncoast Hospice, Board Member
Past Chair Safe America, LLC
For more information about Steve please go to: Steve Mason LinkedIn Profile.